Monday, January 14, 2013

Rochelle's first week

Hello friends and family!

Wow, it seems as though I have been in Mongolia much longer than 2 weeks! I left Jan. 1st- what a start to the new year! The plane ride was enjoyable enough because I actually look forward to the plane food and the personal TVs at each seat! I had an idea of the length of the trip and look of the plane because of my trip to Cambodia in December 2011- January 2012. I flew on American Airlines from Minneapolis to Chicago, where I switched to Turkish Airlines. During that 10 hour flight, I enjoyed the personal TV, where I could choose to listen to audio books, watch a selection a TV shows, listen to music, or watch a broad selection of movies. The entire Harry Potter series was available to watch and I decided that I would try to watch a bunch of them, but I ended up sleeping most of the time, and unfortunately was only able to watch the first one! I switched to a much smaller plane in Istanbul, Turkey. The previous plane had a row with 2 seats, aisle, 4 seats, aisle, and 2 seats. This smaller plane had 3 seats, aisle, 3 seats and to my disappointment no personal TVs! I had another 10 hours before getting to Mongolia, but luckily I had the book trilogy His Dark Materials on my iPad e-reader! This is an excellent travel book because it is very exciting and fun to read. Thanks for the recommendation, Becky! The plane had a scheduled stop in Kyrgyzstan to refuel and we had to wait in the airport for an hour. It was about 5 hours until Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and I thought it would go fast, but this was the slowest part of the trip!! Luckily, the plane wasn't crowded at all, every other seat was empty (Who in their right mind would travel to Mongolia in the winter??!). We arrived at 10 AM and the plane circled around the city about 7 times until it was able to line up with the runway. It was really neat to see the city from above for a few times, then I really wanted to land and was getting frustrated with how many times we were circling!

When I was waiting for my luggage, it seemed so unreal that I had finally made it and was about to see Matt again! The airport was very small and he was waiting for me by the only exit doors. As we were saying our hellos a Mongolian man was asking us if we needed a taxi, and this happened many other times. It was pretty annoying to be pestered like that, right away. One of Matt's co-workers was nice enough to give us a ride to Matt's apartment, so we didn't have to pay for a taxi (although they are very cheap here). Here are some pictures of his apartment:

 Entrance: Door to the apartment to the right (we are on the 2nd floor).
Matt keeps his clothes in the shelve space to the left because their is no dresser. 
We also hang some of our nicer clothes up in the closet at the left.
His entire apartment came furnished with bed, desk, couch, chair, 
entertainment center, coffee table, rice cooker, dishes, etc.



 Kitchen: Not as beautiful as our last apartment, but I am not complaining. I am content with the kitchen. I like the teal wall color. The fridge is a little small (about 4.5 feet), but I am used to a smaller fridge from the Grandview apartments in Morris, and we don't have a CSA so we won't need to refrigerate large amounts of produce at one time! The one thing that is unfortunately missing is an oven! Matt and I are thinking of getting a crockpot to somewhat remedy that! 

Living Room: Here is the window I often look out to see what is happening in the park below (Check out the Babies of Mongolia page for more information about that). There are a lot of mismatched colors and patterns in this room with a 70s vibe: bright orange couch and shaggy green and brown rugs. It also has a very detailed and unique light fixture that sort of matches the flowery wall paper. I will have to take close ups of those things and add them. I keep my clothes in the shelves near the window, which works very well. I am pleased with this storage space.

 Bedroom: The desk, bed, and a chair are in this room. It also has an enclosed balcony that I might spend time in during the warmer months. For now, it's way too cold to go out there! I like all the shelf space the desk has. Matt and I were trying to rearrange the room, so we were trying to move this desk, but it is  mostly put together with wooden pegs and was falling apart. So we quickly learned that this corner is where it is meant to stay!
Toilet Room: The toilet has a room all to itself. This is, by far, the room that is in the worst shape in the apartment. Part of the wall is missing, there is an ugly board covering some of the hole, and the tiles are breaking apart. It works well enough and we keep this door closed!



Bathroom (no toilet): Shower turned into storage closet by landlord.


  Smallest washer I have ever seen! We don't have a dryer, but the air is very dry here so a drying rack works well.

Bathtub/shower. The sink faucet works as the bath water faucet as well. To use the shower, we just pull out the knob to diver the water to the shower head. The lighting is very dim and yellow in here. I hope to figure out a way to make it brighter, maybe we will put a lamp in here.

Whew! Hope you enjoyed the update! I am satisfied with this apartment for now. I think it is a nice space and am very happy to be living with Matt again!! I would love to hear your comments!

-Rochelle-

6 comments:

  1. "His Dark Materials" is a good book series!

    Your apartment is nicer than I imagined it would be... not sure why but I always imagined freezing cold Mongolia to have little huts that you have to heat with a campfire! On that note, how is the weather? How are you staying warm? Have you seen any sites around there? Do people go out or are they inside most of the time?

    I think it might be easier than you thought to get by without an oven. We rarely even use ours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traditional nomadic lifestyle includes living in gers (the term you might recognize is "yurt" which is the Russian word for the same thing). UB (Ulaanbaatar), the capital city we are living in, is very sprawling and there are "suburbs" of gers on the outer edges. They usually burn a lot of coal, which is how a lot of the terrible pollution is formed.
      The weather is ok. Matt and I were walking the other night to a restaurant and I was too warm! I had to unzip my coat, and I am sure it was at least -10 F out. The apartment is very warm and I have a lot of good wool clothes.
      We have gone out a little bit, mostly to restaurants and grocery stores. It's hard for me to look around when we walk because it is very icy on the sidewalks.
      People are out all the time. Mongolians are a very tough group of people. They are always out and about walking around the city.

      Delete
  2. OK, so I'm trying to get to work so just had to look at pics - but I'm with Leiah - I imagined you living in some mud hut or something! Your place is super nice! But the best part is you two look SO happy to be together again!!! YAY!!!! I signed Randy and myself up for the emails too so we can remember to check! Take care you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Rochelle! It's looks clean which more than I can say about India! How long are you staying there? I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, it might be cleaner than India. I guess it helps that it is so cold that everything freezes! I didn't need to take any specific disease shots before I came here because not much can live in this environment! I still think the city is pretty dirty, though.

      I don't have a plan for how long I will stay here. I only got a one way ticket! I would like to stay for at least part of the summer!

      Delete
  4. This is really cool. I am excited to hear more about your adventures =)

    ReplyDelete